I graduated with a B.Sc. (1979) and Ph.D. (1982) in biochemistry from Wales, UK. In the same year I joined the department of biochemistry, college of medicine, university of Khartoum, Sudan as a lecturer. In 1988 I was awarded a scholarship from TWAS which is under ICTP to join the departmento de Fisica, U'niversita' de Genova, Italy as a visiting faculty for one year. I worked in liposomal design and cell-cell fusion using different lipids preparations. Between 1990 and 1998 I was working as an assistant professor at the Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Abha. Saudi Arabia. With my colleagues we were responsible of the academic office. In 1998, I was promoted to Associate professor and continued to work in King Saud university. In 2004, I joined the basic medical sciences department, college of medicine, university of Sharjah as one of the founding faculty. With my colleagues we developed the problem based (PBL) curriculum for the college of medicine. And I was the coordinator for the foundation year for both colleges of medicine and dentistry. In 2018 January, I joined the college of medicine, Ajman University, and with my colleagues we are working to establish the college of medicine in Ajman.
- PhD. Biochemistry, Wales U.K. 1982
- B.Sc. Major Biochemistry Wales U.K. 1979
- LRIC. Royal Society of Biochemistry U.K. 1977
- Associate professor, College of Medicine, Ajman University. UAE. 2017-present.
- Associate Professor, Department of Basic Medical Sciences - Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of Sharjah, UAE. 2004 – 2017 (January)
- Associate Professor, Department of Clinical Biochemistry, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Abha, Saudi Arabia. 1998-2004
- Assistant Professor, Department of Clinical Biochemistry, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Abha, Saudi Arabia. 1990-1998
- Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of Khartoum, Sudan. 1982 -1990
- Teaching Biochemistry course for foundation year students 2004-2018
- Lecturing biochemistry to 2nd year dental students 2005-2018
- Lecturing biochemistry to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year Medicine 2005-2018
- Conducting PBL sessions to medical students 2005-2018
- Liposome Biotechnology
- Lead poisoning and pregnancy
- Hyperlipidemia and stroke
- Lipoid pneumonia in infants
- Emad Nosair, Zein Mirghani, Randa Mostafa. Measuring students’ Perception of Educational Environment in the PBL Program of Sharjah Medical College. Journal of Medical Education and Curricular Development, Dec., 2015; (2): 71-79
- Mostafa, RM, Mustafa, and YM & Mirghani, Z. : Thymoquinone alone or in combination with phenobarbital reduces the seizure score and improves the oxidative burden in pentylenetetrazole-kindled rats, Oxidants and Antioxidants in Medical Science. Oxide Antioxid Med Sci 2012; 1(3):185-192
- Zein Mirghani, Z., Zein, T., Annoble, S., Winter, J. and Mostafa, RM (2011): Analysis of Fatty Acids in Ghee and Olive Oil and Their Probable Causal Effect in Lipoid Pneumonia. Journal of Medical Biochemistry, 2010; 30(2):141-147.
- Zein Mirghani, Z “Effect of Low Lead Exposure on Gestational Age, Birth Weight and Premature Rupture of the Membrane” J Pak Med Assoc. 2010; 60(12):1027-30
- Zein Mirghani and Tayseer Z. Total and LDL cholesterol as risk factors of ischemic stroke in Emirati patients. Journal of neurology 2010; 13(1): 1-10
- Effect of Garlic (Alium Sativum) and black seeds (Nigella Sativa) ingestion on oxidant and antioxidant balance in healthy menopausal women”. Poster Presentation. International conference on successful aging for women. Jeddah, KSA. 21-24 April 2009
- The second International conference on Health Second international Environment and Development “Blood Lead levels and Pregnancy” 20-30 November 2006. Alexandria Egypt
- International Conference, “Impact of Global Issues on Women and Children”.Dhaka , Bangladesh. 12th – 16th Feb 2006. ‘Maternal and umbilical cord blood lead levels in a regional hospital. Conference Proceedings
- World Health Day 2005. 4th April 2005. “Blood Lead and Pregnancy”. Conference Abstract
- Cybernatics and Biophysics Italian Conference. Bologna, 1991. Italy. "Fusion ofvesicles containing bipolar lipids." Conference Proceedings. Vol. 31 pp. 217-221.1991. C. Frediani (Ed.)
- Biochemical Society Meeting No. 629, Royal Free Hospital, London. "Formation and properties of monopolar-bipolar mixed lipid vesicles." Biochemical Society Transactions No. 11, 1988, pp. 507-8
- Federation of European Biochemical Societies 14th Meeting. "NMR studies of non-bilayer phase effects induced by physiological concentrations of negatively charged lipids and calcium ions." Biochemical Transactions 1981, Vol. 9, No. 2. pp 281.
- International Symposium on the Effects of Working in Hot Environment. 27-31 January 1988. "Effect of temperature on some physiological processes occurring in and across the cell membrane." Sudan Medical Journal (1988), Vol. 22, pp. 205
Memberships, Awards and Honors
- Member of International Liposome Society. 1990 to present
- Member of Sudanese Biochemical Society. 1982 to present. (Secretary 1982-1990).
- Member of Royal Biochemical Society. 1979 to present.