Tizreena Ismail taught rhetoric and composition at the American University of Sharjah. She has also taught in the English Language Department at Prince University, Malaysia. Her areas of interest include language teaching and identity, writing studies pedagogy and critical issues in literacy development and assessment of EFL learners. She has presented and published papers in the area of writing across the curriculum, language and media, writing identity, and the impact of dialogic feedback practices on learner identity and learner motivation of language students. Currently she is working on her PhD in Education from Exeter University, United Kingdom.
- B.A. (Honors) English Language. University Putra Malaysia. Malaysia. 2004.
- M.A. Language Communication and Research. Cardiff University. United Kingdom. 2006.
- PhD in English Education. Exeter University. United Kingdom. Currently.
- Assistant Lecturer, Department of English Language, Faculty of Modern Languages and Communication, University Putra Malaysia. Malaysia. 2006-2008.
- English Language Instructor, Ittihad University, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE, Spring 2008
- Instructor, Department of Writing Studies. American University of Sharjah, Sharjah, UAE. September 2008 to August 2015.
- Lecturer, TEFL Department, College of Education and Basic Sciences. Ajman University, UAE. February 2016 – currently.
- language teaching and identity, writing studies pedagogy and critical issues in literacy development and assessment of EFL learners.
- writing across the curriculum, language and identity, participatory approaches to pedagogy and their impact on learner identity and learner motivation of language students.
- Ismail, T. (2015). “Participatory Feedback: Critical action research on dialogic writing classrooms in the Middle East”. HKICEPS 2014. Conference Proceedings.
- Ismail,T. (2014). “Sustaining Writer Identities of Freshman Students in the Middle East”. ISHUD 2014 Conference proceedings.
- Ismail, T. (2013). "The Language of Advertising and its Portrayal of Older Women" Athens: ATINER'S Conference Paper Series, No: EDU2012-0228.ISSN: 2241-2891.
- Abusalim, A., Bilikozen, N., Ismail, T., Sayed, S., (Ed.) ( 2012). Where I Stand: The Center and the Periphery. London: Pearson Education.
- Ismail, T. (2011). “Advertising Lingo”. IJAS 2011 Conference Proceedings, ISSN: 1943-6114.
- Ismail, T. (2009). “A Content Analysis of Older Adults in Malaysian Magazine Advertisements”. INTED2009 Conference Proceedings, ISBN: 978-84-612-7578-6.
- 04/2018 Paper Presented: “Language Assessment and Learner Identities: Labeling Learners through Placement Tests”, at the 16th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Education, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- 02/2015Graduate Student Research: “Labeling Student Writers at AUS”. University of Exeter Academic Writing/TESOL Graduate Research Seminar, Dubai, UAE.
- 12/2014Paper Presented: “Participatory Feedback: Critical action research on dialogic writing classrooms in the Middle East”, at the 3rd International Conference on Education, Psychology and Society, Hong Kong
- 04/2014Paper Presented: “Sustaining Writer Identities of Freshman Students in the Middle East”, at the Annual International Conference on Sustainable Human Development, Brunel University campus, Uxbridge, London, United Kingdom.
- 03/2013Paper Presented: “Media in the 21st Century: An analysis of its association to culture, pedagogy and identities of subgroups” at the International Journal of Arts and Science Conference, University of Nevada Las Vegas, USA.
- 05/2012Paper Presented: “The Language of Advertising and It’s Portrayal of Women” at The International Conference on Education in Athens, Greece.
- 05/2011Paper Presented: “Advertising Lingo” at The International Journal of Arts and Science Conference in Harvard, Boston, U.S.A.
- 10/2010Paper Presented: “Older Adults in Advertisements” at The Florida Communication Association Convention 2010 in Lake Buena Vista, Florida, U.S.A.
- 03/2009Paper Presented: “A Content Analysis of Older Adults in Malaysian Magazine Advertisements”, at the International Technology, Education and Development Conference (INTED).
Memberships, Awards and Honors
- AUS Research and Conference Grants (2009-2015, 7 total).
- University Putra Malaysia Tutorship Grant for MA program (2004-2006).
- HITACHI Young Leaders Initiative Grant (2003).
- UNEP Youth Envoys Grant (2001).
- Member of TESOL Arabia 2011- present.
- Member of FCA: Florida Communication Association, 2011-present.
- Member of World Universities Debate Organization, 2004-present.
- Member of HITACHI Young Leaders Program, 2003-present.