Dr. Riyadh holds a PhD degree in computer Science in the area of artificial intelligence and pattern recognition and an MSc degree in Software Engineering both from Liverpool University. He has an extensive academic, industrial as well as administrative experience. He was the dean of the College of Information Technology and the chairperson of the Computer Science Department before that at Ajman University. Currently, he is chairperson of Department of the Information Technology. His research interests are in the area of soft computing paradigms: Neural Networks, Fuzzy Logic, and Genetic Algorithms and their applications in software engineering, pattern recognition, and in providing solutions to other business and information technology problems. On the teaching side, he has taught many courses at the undergraduate as well as postgraduate level in the computing field. Supervised students’ theses at the MSc as well as PhD levels. I also have industrial experience working as a system analyst. He also has an extensive experience in the assessment and accreditation processes of academic programs as well as the development of curricula for undergraduate as well as postgraduate degree programs. Currently, he is an ABET program evaluator with the Computing Accreditation Commission for accrediting computing programs.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Liverpool University, U.K. 1999.
- M.Sc. in Software Engineering, Liverpool University, U.K. 1987.
- B.Sc. Joint Degree in Mathematics, Warwick University, U.K., June 1975
- British G.C.E Advanced Level Certificate, City of Bath Technical College, U.K., June 1972
- Head, Information Technology Department, Ajman University, UAE, since September 2016
- Dean, College of Information Technology, Ajman University, UAE, October 2013 - June 2016
- Head, Computer Science Department, Ajman University, UAE, September 2001-October 2013
- Head, Computer Science Department, Al-Nahrain University, Iraq, August 1999-July 2000
- Faculty, Department of Computer Science, Al-Nahrain University, Iraq, January 1993 - August 1999
- Program Evaluator, Computing Commission, ABET, Since June 2016. Participated as a team member in the cevaluation of the Computer Science program at Cleveland State University, Ohio, USA, October 15-17, 2017 and the Computer Science program at Central Missouri University, USA, October 9-11, 2016.
- Deputy, Quality Assurance & Institutional Research Unit, Ajman University, UAE, September 2005 - September 2010
- Senior system analyst, Reservoir Department, Iraqi Oil Ministry, May 1991 - January 1993
- System Analyst, Oil Drilling Department, Iraqi National Oil Company, Iraq, August 1979 - September 1985
- Undergraduate Level: Cloud Computing, Data Warehousing and Data Mining, Database Management Systems, Computer Programming, Data Structures, Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Computer animation, Game Programming
- Post Graduate Level: Data Modeling & Databases, Software Development, Fuzzy Logic, Genetic Algorithms, Neural Networks, Image Processing & Pattern Recognition
- Research Area: Application of soft computing paradigm (Neural Networks, Genetic Algorithms, and Fuzzy logic) to software engineering, pattern recognition and other problems in business and information technology.
- Riyadh A.K. Mehdi, “Software Effort Estimation Using Adaptive Fuzzy-Neural Approach ”, International Journal of Computer Applications and Research, Volume 6, Issue 7, July 2017, PP. 329-332.
- Riyadh A.K. Mehdi, “Software Defect Prediction Using Radial Basis and Probablistic Neural Networks”, International Journal of Computer Applications and Research, Volume 5, Issue 5, May 2016, PP. 260-265.
- Riyadh A.K.Mehdi, “The Effect of Dimensionality Reduction on the Performance of Software Cost Estimation Models”, International Journal of Engineering and Inovative Technology (IJEIT), Volume 4, Issue 9, March 2015, PP. 68-72.
- Riyadh A.K.Mehdi and Roba Bassam Alnajjar, “Performance Evaluation of Grid Scheduling Strategies: A Case Study of the Epigenomic Application”, International Journal of Research in Information Technology (IJTIT), Volume 2, issue 4, April 2014, PP. 500-512.
- Riyadh A.K.Mehdi and Mahmoud AbuoNaaj, “Academic program assessment: a case study of a pragmatic approach”, Creative Education Journal (CE), Vol. 4, No. 1, 2013, pp. 71-81.
- A. Araar , H. Khali, and M. Riyadh, “A Simulastion Study of a Reliable Dynamic Multicast Environment”, International Arab Journal of Information (IAJIT), Vol 2. No. 2, July 2005.
- Mahmoud AbuoNaaj and Riyadh A.K.Mehdi , “Quality Improvement of Academic Programs at AUST", The First Arab Conference of the Arab Network for Quality Assurance in Higher Education- ANQAHE, 2011, Ministry of Higher Education, UAE, Abu Dhabi, December 13-15, 2011.
- Mahmoud AbuoNaaj and Riyadh A.K.Mehdi , “Quatitative Approach to Ensuring Course Learning Outcomes", Proceedings of the International Arab Conference on Quality Assurance in Higher Education-IACQA’2011, AlZarka University, Jordan, May 10-12, 2011, pp. 102-107.
- Riyadh A.K.Mehdi and Hakim Khali, “Partitioning Strategy for LUT-based Applications Using Genetic Algorithms”, Proceedings of the 7th ACS/IEEE International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications (AICCSA 2009), Rabat, Morocco, May 10-13, 2009.
- Riyadh A.K.Mehdi, Hakim Khali, AbdulAziz Arrar, “New Fuzzy Ranking Algorithm for Discrete Event Simulation”, Proceedings of the ICECS 12th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems, Gammmarth, Tunisia, December 11-14, 2005.
- Hakim Khali, Riyadh A.K.Mehdi, AbdulAziz Arrar, “A System-Level Architecture For Hash Message Authentication Code”, Proceedings of the ICECS 12th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems, Gammmarth, Tunisia, December 11-14, 2005
- AbdulAziz Arrar, Hakim Khali, Riyadh A.K.Mehdi, “Simulation Study For Routing Protocols In Sensor Networks”, Proceedings of the ICECS 12th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems, Gammmarth, Tunisia, December 11-14, 2005.
- Riyadh A.K.Mehdi, Hakim Khali, AbdulAziz Arrar, “Generating Fuzzy Rules for Classification Problems Using Gehetic Algorithms”, Proceedings of the 22nd IASTED International Conference on Artificial Intelligenceand Applications, Innsbruck, Austria, February 16-18, 2004, pp. 74-77.
- H. Khali, M. Riyadh and A. Araar, “Real-Time 3D Image Computation Using LUT-Based DSP Systems“, Accepted for publication in IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems, December 2004.
- . L. Mahmod, Riyadh .A.K. Mehdi, and V. W. Samawi, “Using Higher Order and Quantized Hopfield Nueral Network for Vector Quatization”, The 2001 International Arab Conference on Information Technology(ACIT’2001), Aman, Jordan, November 13 –15, 2001.
Memberships, Awards and Honors
- Member, Association for Computing Machinery