Dr. Jihad Awad is full professor of architecture, currently head of architectural engineering department at Ajman University (AU). Before 2004, he has taught at different Palestinian universities. He holds Dr.-Ing. from University of Stuttgart, Germany, M. Arch. from Kansas State University, USA, and B.Sc. from Yarmouk University, Jordan. He has published several papers and two books: “Rural Houses of Palestine” (in Arabic), and “Top International Architects – Design Concepts in Architecture” (in English).He has organized several workshops and invited many internationally renowned architects to AU: Jencks, Hollein, Koolhaas, van Berkel, Badran, Alsop, Moss, Yansong, Ambasz, Wiscombe, Houben, and Yeang.
- Dr.-Ing., University of Stuttgart, Germany, 1996
- M. Arch., Kansas State University, USA, 1989
- B. Arch. Eng., Yarmouk University, Jordan, 1984
- Head of Department, Architectural Engineering Department, Ajman University, UAE, since 2012 till now.
- Associate professor, Architectural Engineering Department, Ajman University, UAE, since 2009.
- Assistant professor, Architectural Engineering Department, Ajman University, UAE, 2004-2009.
- Assistant professor, Architectural Engineering Department, An-Najah National University, Palestine, 1996-2003. (HOD between 1997-2000)
- Lecturer, Architectural Engineering Department, An-Najah National University, Palestine, 1989-1991.
- Teaching Assistant, Architectural Engineering Department, An-Najah National University, Palestine, 1984-1986.
- Architectural Design courses (I - VI)
- Architecture & Urban Environment in the Gulf Region (graduate course M.Sc. in Urban Design)
- Islamic Architecture
- Modern & Contemporary Architecture
- Traditional Architecture and Heritage Conservation
- Architecture of the Islamic World
- Smart Cities
- Afaq Hyder Chohan, Haryanti Mohd Affandi, Jihad Awad, Adi Irfan Che-Ani: “A Methodology to Develop a Mobile Application Model to Appraise Housing Design Quality,” in International Journal of Interactive Mobile Technologies. Vol 11, No 6, Nov. 2017. pp. 4-17. ISSN: 1865-7923 (Scopus Indexed). http://online-journals.org/index.php/i-jim/article/view/6379/4695
- Awad, Jihad, Afaq Hyder, and Adi Irfan: “Development of Smart Cities from Fiction to Reality in Member States of the Gulf Cooperation Council”, book chapter in: Rassia, Stamatina Th., Pardalos, Panos M (Eds.): Smart City Networks through the Internet of Things. Elsevier, Springer International Publishing, Oct. 2017, pp. 43-63. ISBN 978-3-319-61313-0 http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319613123#aboutBook
- Afaq Hyder Chohan, Adi Irfan, Jihad Awad: Development of Quality Indicators of Housing Design (QIHD), an Approach to Improve Design Quality of Affordable Housing, Open House International, vol. 40, No. 4, Dec. 2015, pp. 8-20.
- Afaq Hyder Chohan, Adi Irfan Che Ani, Jihad Awad, Arif Jawaid and Norngainy Mohamad Tawil: A Model of Housing Quality Determinants (HQD) for Affordable Housing, Journal of Construction in Developing Countries, 20(1) 2015.
- Book (in English): Top International Architects - Design Concepts in Architecture, 4 volumes (1860 pages), published by Universal Publisher & Distributor, Beirut & Abu Dhabi, 2014. ISBN: 978-9953-591-04-9.
- Book (in Arabic): Houses of Rural Palestine (بيوت الريف في فلسطين), published by RIWAQ, Ramallah, 2012. ISBN: 978-9950-303-12-6
- “Identity, Heritage in the Age of Globalization: Islamic Architecture in Muslim Societies: A Theory and Praxis Appraisal,” Chapter 9 in Mandour, M. Alaa and Yulla Eka Putrie (eds.): Contemporary Architecture of Islamic Societies – Between Globalization and Traditions, UIN-Maliki Press, Indonesia, 2012, pp. 319 – 332. ISBN 978-602-958-405-9
- "Conserving the Palestinian Architectural Heritage", paper submitted to the conference Islamic Heritage Architecture 2016, in Valencia, Spain, 17-19 May 2016, published in the International Journal of Heritage Architecture, WIT Press, Vol. 1, Number 3, 2017, pp. 451-460, (ISSN: 2058-8321 paper format, ISSN: 2058-833X online). https://www.witpress.com/elibrary/ha-volumes/1/3/1235
Memberships, Awards and Honors
- Member of the International Editorial Board for the Journal of Islamic Architecture – JIA (ISSN 2086-2636, e-ISSN 2356-4644). http://ejournal.uin-malang.ac.id/index.php/JIA/about/editorialTeam
- Member of the International Scientific Advisory Committee of Islamic Heritage 2018, to be held in Malta, from 17 - 19 April 2018.
- Member of the International Scientific Committee for the 4th International Architectural Conservation Conference & Exhibition “Sustainable heritage: global vision local experience”, 8-10 February 2016, organized by Dubai Municipality. Also session moderator. http://ahconference.ae/scientific-committee/
- Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Heritage Architecture. (http://www.witpress.com/journals/ha)
- Member in the Board of Editors of the journal "Open House International" http://www.openhouse-int.com/beditors.html
- Reviewer for the Journal Frontiers of Architectural Research (FOAR)
- Member of the International Review Board for LONAARD Magazine (London Art and Architecture Research & Design Group), London. http://www.lonaard.com/magazine.html
- Honorary member in World Architecture Community: http://www.worldarchitecture.org/community/?users=honorary