* 20+ years of proven experience in university teaching and research, pharmaceutical sciences, cancer research, and nano-biomaterials. * R&D accomplishments in drugs development and separation techniques of biological materials.* Hands-on experience in pharmaceutical quality control, quality assurance, and biomaterial separation and characterization. * Experienced in pharmaceutical analytical methods, pharmaceutical laboratories, and pharmacy-based policy development and management.
- PhD, Colorado School of Mines, USA, 2015
- MSc, Colorado School of Mines, USA, 2011
- MS, Burgundy School of Business, France, 2003
- B.Pharm, University of Tripoli, Libya, 1994
- Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, Ajman University, 2016-Present
- Head of Laboratories, College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, Ajman University, 2017-Present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Tripoli, Libya, 2015-2016
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Faculty of Pharmacy, Almerghab University, Libya, 2015-2016
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Chemistry, Colorado School of Mines, USA, 2012-2013
- Head of Pharmaceutical Chemistry & Pharmacognosy Department, College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, Ajman University, UAE, 2016-2017
- Head of Quality Assurance Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Tripoli, Libya, 2016
- General Manager of State Pharmaceutical Quality Control Administration (Libyan FDA), Libya, 2005-2006
- Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Control
- Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance
- Nanobiomaterial separation and characterization
- Pharmaceutical counterfeiting
- Method development and validation for pharmaceutical analysis
- May Reda, Akram Ashames, Zehra Edis, Samir Bloukh, Richie Bhandare, Hamed Abu Sara. Green synthesis of potent antimicrobial silver nanoparticles using different plant extracts and their mixtures. Processes 7 (8), 510 (2019)
- Akram Ashames. Bachelor of Pharmacy Programs in United Arab Emirates. Universal Journal of Educational Research 7 (8), 1650-1662 (2019)
- Akram Ashames, Richie Bhandare, Sham Zain AlAbdin, Tasnim Alhalabi, Farah Jassem. Public perception toward e-commerce of medicines and comparative pharmaceutical quality assessment study of two different products of furosemide tablets from community and illicit online pharmacies. Journal of Pharmacy And Bioallied Sciences 11(3), 284 (2019)
- Akram Ashames, Nageeb Hassan, Kristen Alamir, Kamar Modalaleh, Alin Naser, Aya Khawatmi. Correlation between Neck Circumference, Waist Circumference, Body Mass Index, and Overweight/Obesity among Ajman University Students, Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 12(5), 2443-2452 (2019)
- Akram Ashames, Richie Bhandare, Sham Zain AlAbdin, Amna Aljashamy, Aya Atfeh, Abir Elwaer, Noura Fakhry. In vitro Comparative Quality Attributes of Selected Brands of Fexofenadine Hydrochloride Tablets Marketed in UAE and India. Book title: Chemistry for a Clean and Healthy Planet (Chapter 5), Springer, September 2019)
- Zehra Edis, Samir Haj Bloukh, Akram Ashames, May Ibrahim. Copper-based nanoparticles, their chemistry and antibacterial properties: A Review. Book title: Chemistry for a Clean and Healthy Planet (Chapter 24), Springer, September 2019)
- Akram Ashames, Sham Zain AlAbdin, Fatima ElZahra ElMahdi, Asma Samhi, Manar Farraj. Qualitative and quantitative characterization of hazardous triclosan traces in household personal care soaps marketed in UAE. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research,11 (1), 89-92 (2019).
- Akram Ashames, Moawia M. Al-Tabakha, Sham Zain AlAbdin, Zainab Ahmad. Tablet Splitting: Public Perception and Quality Attributes of Two Common Cardiovascular Drugs. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 11, (12), 5562-5568 (2018).
- Heena D. Patel, Moayad Al Shahwan, Akram Ashames, Mohammed Waseemul Islam, Richie Bhandare. One pot microwave-assisted synthesis of 3-benzyl-5hydroxymethyl-1,3-oxazolidin-2-one. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, 10 (11), 2814-281 (2018).
- Amal Ammar, Mohamed El-Attug, Amal Belaid, Sakina Sadaawi, Ruwida Kamour, Akram Ashames, Tariq Almog and Shukri Alsharif. Separation of complexed semi-synthetic flavonoids by using fused core column in short time. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research 8 (3), 438-443 (2016).
- S. Kim Williams Ratanathanawongs, J. Ray Runyon, Akram A. Ashames. Field-Flow Fractionation: Addressing the Nano Challenge. Anal. Chem., 83 (3), 634–642 (2011).
- S. Kim Williams Ratanathanawongs, Marie-Anna Benincasa, Akram A. Ashames. Field-Flow Fractionation in Analysis of Polymers and Rubbers. Encyclopedia of Analytical Chemistry, eds R.A. Meyers, John Wiley: Chichester. DOI:10.1002/9780470027318.a2008.pub2 (2009).
- Akram Ashames. E-commerce of pharmaceuticals and nutraceuticals in UAE. 79th FIP World Congress of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Abu Dhabi, UAE, September 22-26, 209
- 2019 World Federation for Medical Education World Conference (Seoul, Korea, April 7-10, 2019) Akram Ashames. Recent Developments in Undergraduate Pharmacy Education in United Arab Emirates Toward Clinical and Social Pharmacy
- World Nano 2019 (Dubai, April 15-19, 2019) May Reda Mohamed and Akram Ashames Comparative study of antimicrobial activity of various silver nanoparticles synthesized by various green methods
- 31st International Symposium on Chromatography (ISC 2016), Adel M. Abushoffa, Akram A. Ashames, Jamal S. Mezogi, Prospective study of substandard and counterfeit medicines in the North African region
- 249th American Chemical Society (ACS) Meeting 2015, Denver, CO (USA), C Bria, A Ashames, P Skelly, SK Williams, Semipreparative asymmetric flow field-flow fractionation for nanoparticle characterization
- FFF Conference 2014, Salt Lake City, UT (USA). Akram A. Ashames, Seamus McMullen, Tom Anchordoquy, Michael Graner, Kim Williams “Development of a two-dimensional field-flow fractionation method for tumor-derived exosomes”.
- Exosomes and Microvesicles Conference 2012, Orlando, FL (USA). Akram A. Ashames, Seamus McMullen, Kim Williams “Novel 2D separation of exosomes by Field-Flow Fractionation”.
- ExoExpo 2012, Colorado (USA), Akram A. Ashames, Seamus McMullen, Kim Williams “Novel 2D separation of exosomes”
- ExoExpo 2011, Colorado (USA), Akram A. Ashames, Seamus McMullen, Kim Williams “Asymmetrical flow field-flow fractionation of exosomes”.
Memberships, Awards and Honors
- Member in College Council, since 2016
- American Society for Exosomes and Microvesicles (ASEMV), since 2012
- PBD honor society gold medal for outstanding scholar achievement, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colorado, USA, 2012
- Materials Science Fellowship, Colorado School of Mines, 2010-2011, Golden, Colorado,USA, 2011
- University graduate study scholarship from Libyan government for doctoral degree, Libyan government, 2000 and 2007
- Certificate of achievement for outstanding undergraduate student in the Arab World Universities, Yarmouk University, Jordan, 1993
- Editorial board member in Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Editorial Board Member in Journal of Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance and Quality Control
- Editorial Board Member in Trends in Pharmaceuticals and Nanotechnology
- Editorial Board Member in Journal of Pharma and Drug Regulatory Affairs
- Conference awards in Duabai International Pharmaceuticals & Technological Conference & Exhibition (DUPHAT) 2017 and 2018.
- AU Research Day 2018 Awards for supervising best undergraduate and graduate student projects.
- Member of ACPE Steering Committee at the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Ajman University
- Chair of Drug Design, Analysis, and Delivery Research Group, since Jan 2017
- Arbitrator for Rashid Bin Humaid Award for Culture and Science, since 2017
- Head of Laboratories, College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Libyan Pharmacist Syndicate
- Libyan Society for Pharmaceutical Sciences
- First place and Best Pharmacy Student Innovative Poster Award went to students Batoul Baradie and Haneen Abufares and their supervisor Dr. Akram Ashames in their work titled “Fat burners: A solution or a scam?”.
- Sixth Best Pharmacy Student Oral Presentation Award went to students Alaa Ahmad, Huda Ahmad, Alanoud Alattari, and Ruba Alnajjar and their supervisors Dr. Akram Ashames and Sabrina Ait Gacem in their work titled “Pharmaceutical quality control evaluation of metformin hydrochloride tablets including recently recalled products from UAE market”.